A super easy Chocolate Muffin recipe, simple enough for kids to make. Gluten & Dairy free!
If there’s one thing my little boy loves to eat it’s cake… and chocolate cake at that! There are lots of different brands of gluten and dairy free chocolate cakes, cupcakes and muffins on the market. Lots of them are fantastic options but you really can’t beat a homemade muffin, still warm fresh from the oven!
These Chocolate Muffins are really easy to make. You don’t need any special equipment, just two bowls and a spoon! They’re also a fantastic recipe to get kids involved in making aswell. My daughter helped me to make these for Finn to cheer him up as he has chicken pox at the moment (see his spotty face photo below!).
You can buy apple sauce in jars in the supermarket (check the condiments aisle!) or even use those pots of baby food apple sauce! You could of course make your own at home too.
- 220g / 1.5 cups gluten free plain flour
- 40g / 0.25 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 100g / 0.5 cups sugar
- 30g / 0.25 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 100g / 0.5 cup apple sauce
- 180ml / 0.75 cups non dairy milk
- 1 medium egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f and line a 12 hole muffin tray with paper cases.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda into a large bowl and mix with a spoon.
- Add the sugar and chocolate chips and mix again.
- In a second bowl mix together the apple sauce, milk, egg and vanilla extract with a hand whisk or spoon.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix again, just enough so that everything is well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 17-20 minutes until they are cooked through and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out dry.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack and either serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.