A tasty and super healthy breakfast recipe, perfect for kids. Packed with quinoa, oats, bananas and blueberries these bars make a really nutritious start to the day and are gluten and dairy free too!
Hello and welcome to my very first recipe on Our Autism Diet. If you’d like to read more about our journey so far check out our About Page where I share a little about our background and why we decided to put our son on a gluten and dairy free diet. If you’re just here for the recipe… that’s absolutely fine, let’s get on with it!
I’ve been making different variations of these Quinoa Breakfast Bars for a few months now. I started off with these Strawberry Quinoa Bars which I posted on my other blog and since then I’ve been trying different flavours of fruit.
These bars are so easy to make. All you need to do is mix all the ingredients in a bowl and then bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Once they have cooled and been cut then they can be eaten straight away or kept in the fridge or freezer for another day.
The bars are packed with super healthy ingredients like oats, quinoa, bananas and eggs, making them a really balanced breakfast for your little ones. And of course they are gluten and dairy free.
Finn absolutely loves these for breakfast. He sometimes struggles with sitting still at the table at mealtimes but this is the ideal breakfast that he can leave and come back to. They’re also perfect to grab-and-go as you’re leaving the house and he is often eating one in his pushchair on the way to nursery!
Just a quick note on oats – they are naturally gluten free but they are often processed in places that also handle gluten containing grains such as wheat, barley and rye. If you want to be absolutely certain then you can buy certified gluten free oats and they should be labelled as such on the package.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 100g / 0.75 cup cooked quinoa
- 150g / 1.5 cups rolled oats (gluten free)
- 30g / 0.25 cups raisins
- 100g / 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f and line an 8 x 8 inch dish with parchment paper.
- Mash the bananas and add them to a bowl with the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add the in the quinoa, oats and raisins and mix again. Finally stir in the blueberries whole.
- Transfer the mixture to the dish and bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until firm to touch.
- Allow to cool before cutting into 9 squares.
- The bars will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or frozen individually and left out overnight to defrost.