A delicious and super simple Creamy Tomato Spaghetti Sauce. This kid-friendly recipe is gluten and dairy free and sure to be a new family favourite!
Plain tomato sauces can be lovely and are so simple to make, but I wanted to create a sauce that was a little richer, more creamy and almost like something you would get in a restaurant. To get that creamy consistency I used a few tablespoons of coconut cream. Coconut cream is different from coconut milk you get in a tin. It generally comes in a carton (like this one which I got from Sainsburys) and contains just the thicker cream rather than liquid.
If you can’t get your hands on coconut cream then you can still use the tinned coconut milk, but try to strain away the liquid part first.
This recipe will serve 4 and it’s perfect for the whole family to enjoy, whether they are following a similar diet or not. It’s also great to make it bulk and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer too.
- 2 tbsp dairy free spread
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree or paste
- 200ml / 1 cup vegetable stock (use a gluten free stock cube)
- 3 tbsp coconut cream
- Melt the spread in a large pan on the hob. Add the chopped onion and cook for 4-5 mins until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and leave the sauce to simmer for approximately 10 mins until it has reduced down.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the coconut cream.
- Serve immediately with cooked gluten free spaghetti.
- The sauce can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days or in the freezer for 2 months.