A delicious creamy vegetable packed oven baked risotto that’s gluten and dairy free!
Finn absolutely loves rice. It’s probably the food he eats the most so I am very relieved it is naturally gluten free as otherwise we would have had a lot more issues when switching to his gluten and dairy free diet!
I have always made risotto quite a bit for a dinner. It so simple and budget friendly and baking it in the oven makes it even easier. I start by roasting a combination of onions, garlic and cherry tomatoes in some oil which gives a delicious flavour to the base of the risotto.
Then in goes the rice and the vegetable stock and it can be left to cook on its own for 20 minutes – no need to keep feeding it stock and constantly watching it like when you make risotto on the stove!
Finally the veggies go in for the last few minutes. I use chopped frozen vegetables for ease as they require no preparation – just chuck them in and they’ll cook in a couple of minutes!
I added a little dairy free butter at the very end to give the risotto a lovely creaminess and then it’s ready to serve. For the rest of the family I stir in some cheese but of course Finn gets the dairy free version!
If you try this recipe I would absolutely love to hear your feedback or even see pictures of your own creations! And to stay up-to-date on all my recipes you can follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- 200g risotto rice
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 200g mixed frozen veggies
- 1 tbsp dairy free butter / spread
- Preheat the oven to 200c / 390f.
- Add the oil, onion, garlic and tomatoes to a baking dish and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Add the risotto rice and stock, stir well and return to the oven for another 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- The rice should now be cooked and most of the liquid absorbed. Add the frozen veggies and cook for a final 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the dairy free butter or spread before serving immediately.